I connected the rudder to the vertical stabilizer using a pair of Dubro hinges. This made the throw much smoother. Andreas told me about this... cut slots in the stabilizer and rudder, and insert the hinges into the slots. It will be nicely aligned. I used the smallest amount of CA I could, and squeezed the CA deep into the slot before inserting the hinges. Don't get glue on the hinges, or they won't hinge!
I had an extra card, so I tried squeezing them together... as you can see in the second picture, it looked quite nice. It added an extra 3.2 grams of weight to the tail,, but I don't think that will be detrimental.
Following that, I attached the built-up rudder to the vertical stabilizer using the hinge and the method detailed above. It was a bit trickier since I had to get both hinges aligned at the same time. It doesn't hurt to dry-fit the hinges and reinsert them several times in order to get a nice smooth glide for when you're inserting the hinge with glue.
Overall, I was pleased with how it looks and operates. And I can tell people the rudder mod was done with Extra Care!
update: very honored for this to be included in the RCGroups E* Mods post!
Post a Comment