Here's some notes from Andreas on some mods he has made to his EasyStar. (It's interesting how we met: he lives about 5 minutes away from me in our little town; he dropped me a note after reading a comment I had left on rcexplorer.se. I've worked with one of his old neighbors for almost 10 years! It's a small and crazy world!)
- To really make the Easystar fast, you need a brushless motor, esc and lipo. I just used the equipment from the first helicopter I wrecked. Original propeller fit too. With that power I can fly in any wind with no problem. Performance similar to this rocket.
- This is a full mod-project but I did not find any structural re-enforcement necessary:
- The Easystar's rudder is too small. Especially once you add more power. I found this credit card trick the simplest and very effective.
- All hinges should be replaced with real plastic hinges instead of just bending the foam.asdfa
- Also the center of gravity is often too far aft, even on stock EasyStar. Must add enough weight on nose to make it controllable. So I think it can lift a lot of weight (FPV, more electronics for your autopilot etc).
Update: I've done all these and they make the EasyStar a very nice flyer. I changed to a Hawk Sky for the ArduPilot platform.