Sunday, July 17, 2011

Trainer Switch mod for Turnigy 9x

Strangely, the 9x trainer switch operates differently than most radios.  By default, control is given to the student, and the instructor must pull the switch up to take control.

You can reverse the switch, but then you'll have one switch backwards for the infamous "switch error" startup mode.  (actually, I'm used to that mode now and rather like it!).

Here's a simple hardware mod using a spring and two pieces of plastic tubing to hold the switch in instructor mode.  It's from a video review by Thomas Lombardi. Trainer switch discussion starts @3:34, the solution starts @4:42.

Update: I installed er9x which allows the trainer switch to be set properly.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Thanks for your Blog, is really interesting!

    I've just bought another turnigy 9X to teach fly to one of my friends. (Two Turnigys 9x)
    I'm not sure how I could do it. Apart of the wire (mono, 3'5mm), What should I do in the "slave transmiter"? Should I remove something? I'm completly lost...

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miki! Here's some quick notes... do I need to add more detail, have I made a mistake? Let me know!

    http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2011/10/turnigy-9x-trainer-mode.html

    ReplyDelete