Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Modding an Apple Mac Power Supply, Part 2

 Now that we've got the Apple power supply running, we need to hook it up to the charger.  It turns out that standard 110V blades fit perfectly into the GND and 12V slots, so we just harvest a couple from an old wall wart.
Solder onto 12 gauge wire.  My charger has 4mm bullets, so I soldered that onto the other end of the wire.
 Shrink wrapped.  I measured how far the blades would go into the connector, and measured the shrink wrap accordingly.
 The fit is nice and tight.  I don't think it will slip out, but if it does that's safe since it will lose connection to the hot wires.
 I used a piece of bigger heat shrink to hold everything together.  Go onto ebay and you can buy a lifetime supply of various sized shrink tube for a couple of bucks. I think this was 10mm shrink tube.
 I tried fitting a switch in place of the paper clip.  I learned that you can't solder onto a paper clip!  The Internet reveals that they are typically plated with some sort of alloy (tin/nickel?) that isn't attractive to solder.

A couple of old male servo leads worked nicely, but was wobbly.  I might run this with a length of wire, and then attach the switch onto the charger.  Till then, it's a paperclip jammed into the connector, which somehow pleases me very much!

Out with the old, in with the new.  Goodbye old Dell power supply, and thanks for the years of faithful yet kinda ugly and a bit underpowered service you provided.










blogdex = {"toc" : "Power Supply"};

1 comment: