Sunday, November 4, 2012

New Battery Bunker

 Here's my new battery charging bunker.  It's a concrete block, with flats on top and bottom.  I chiseled out a slot for the wiring.  I'm going to try the "sand in bag" technique for the top.  The idea is that you put the sand in a plastic bag, and a fire will melt the plastic, smothering the battery.  I might keep the concrete flat on top of the bag, so it will totally seal.  There's a smoke detector on top.
Here's the reason for the new battery bunker.  It was a 3S 500, relatively small.  I'm pretty paranoid about watching over charging, so I was there when one of the cells popped.  I took it off the charger and examined it; within a couple of minutes smoke started coming out, so I tossed it out the door and it burst into flames a few seconds later.  I wasn't concerned with the leaves, because it was a rainy night and everything was soaked.  I've also got a fire extinguisher next to my bench; you should too!

Update: with the recent dry weather, I have a sand-filled bucket sitting outside the door.

blogodex = {"toc" : "Battery Safety", "idx" : ["Batteries", "Charging", "Safety", "Battery Bunker"]};

1 comment:

  1. The film tells the story of Jan Karski, the Polish resistance fighter who risked his life to reveal the horrors of the Warsaw Ghetto. This innovative documentary in English and Polish sheds light on Karski’s daring exploits and important legacy 100 years after his birth. batteries for remote controls

    ReplyDelete